Saturday, 24 April 2010
Hell during the living – depression.
Depression is a disease or weakness of man?
First, we should answer the question : what depression is.
By definition, depression is a condition characterized by mood deterioration , reduced energy, activity and interest.
But not everyone who is sad and feels pity has depression.
To diagnose depression, some symptoms must have reached the intensity of clinically relevant, because not every depression is a mental illness.
The most noticed and mentioned symptoms are:
- sadness, sorrow. Patient feels tired, lack of energy. He thinks: “I can’t complete the unfinished operations, I want to do nothing. “
- isolation from the environment, the abandonment of regular contacts
- lack of interest, and the important responsibilities
- anxiety, failing of the anger, crying, frustration
- symptoms of the body: headache, appetite disorder
- in the sphere of thought: a sense of guilt – reminding old mistakes, bad choices in life, a sense of small value, worthlessness of life, hopelessness, suicidal thoughts.
- deterioration of cognitive function – inability to focus, persevere in activities requiring men intellectual effort.
Causes of depression.
Causes of depression are not only biological for example: abnormal functioning of the CNS ( central nervous system). Psychological factors cause depression too. For instance:
- a negative way of thinking
- blaming for unfortunate situations
- remembering rather the bad than happy events
- submissive behavior pattern
- feeling of embarrassment, fear and retreat than taking the challenges
- deposition of the problems
- conflicts, quarrels at home
- open favoring siblings
- putting excessive demands
- psychological abuse, sexual harassment – called. bad touch.
To sum up, we can think that depression is a result of patient's character or way of thinking.. According to professor Antoni Kępiński depression is an illness that should be treated pharmacologically or by psychotherapy.
In interview, he said that patient suffering from depression isn’t able to help himself. Family has big influence on the patient’s mood too. By professor A. Kępiński , when the wife says to her husband, who is depressed: “Do not despair and go to work” it will not help him. Quite on the contrary, it will deepen the depression.
SOME STATISTIC ON DEPRESSION:
1. According to WHO ( World Health Organization ) 120 million people in the world are suffering from depression.
2. By the European Commission 4, 5 % of European population is affected by depression
3. Every year 58000 Europeans dies as a result of suicide.
4. 12 % population of France has a depression. Every year 65 000 000 antidepressant pills is sold in France.
5. Women experience depression about twice as often as men.
6. Over half of patients do not benefit from medical help
7. 40 % of the population of hospital patients and residents of nursing homes after 65 years of age suffer from depression.
8.More than 90% of people who died by suicide had been diagnosed with mental illness, commonly
a depressive disorder.
9.Depression is also known to weaken the immune system, making the body more susceptible to other medical illnesses.
10. By the year 2020, depression will be the 2nd most common health problem in the world.
Do you think that depression is an illness or weakness of man?
Do you know someone who was/ is depressed?
1. Film about Post-Partum Depression.
2. Test: Hamilton Depression Rating Scale: