Friday 16 October 2009

UNUSUAL HOLIDAY IDEAS





The Illegal Border Crossing Tour in Mexico

This tour at Parque EcoAlberto in Mexico is my number one pick because it’s truly unusual. When I first read that this tour will recreate the experience of being a Mexican trying to illegally cross the border, I wasn’t sure that it was quite the right thing to do; but according to a New York Times reporter who tried it, the locals want tourists to understand the experiences and traumas that illegal immigrants face. Take this night-time guided hike and you’ll be chased in the dark, shot at by (fake) police and you may or may not make it under the fence. But you’ll definitely have an interesting story to tell the folks back home.




Surreal Trip to the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone



Have you ever thought of packing a Geiger counter in your carry-on bag? Seriously. For the past several years, people from around the world have done just that, descending upon Kyiv, Ukraine for a chance to visit the contaminated landscape known as the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone.
A 1986 accident destroyed Reactor 4 at the V.I. Lenin Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant in northern Ukraine, releasing huge amounts of radiation into the atmosphere. The accident forced the evacuation of more than 100,000 people from an area within a 30-km radius of the plant. Twenty-two years after the disaster, people have returned to this area. Not to live - it is still too dangerous for that. However, the area is now considered safe enough for people to participate in "ecological" tours of the site of the world's worst nuclear accident.


The Vampire Tour of San Francisco

Special vampire tour guide Mina Hawker encourages her tour guests to come in costume when they want to learn about the vampires of the Nob Hill area of San Francisco. She is (apparently) a vampress created by Count Dracula, and she’s now lived in SF for a century, passing on local vampire legend. Right! But in case you start to get worried, the website carefully mentions that they don’t visit any stops that are “seriously gothic or dark”. To make sure you arrive on time they raffle off a “vampire-related prize” at the start of each tour, too. It’s full of gimmicks but sounds like a fun night out.


Ice Hotel

The Ice Hotel opened on New Years Day in 2001. For its first year it was located in Montmorency Falls Park, which is on the outskirts of Quebec City, with plans right from the beginning to move to the nearby Duchesnay resort for its next year, where it has been built ever since.

The hotel is located 10 km west of Québec City. It is the first Ice Hotel in North America and is erected each January. The hotel has a four-month lifespan each year before being brought down in April. It had 22 beds when it first opened in 2000. In its last iteration it had 85 beds, all made of ice but lined with deer furs and covered with mattresses and Arctic sleeping bags. Only the bathrooms are heated and located in a separate insulated structure.

It takes about a month and a half to build with 60 workers. The Hotel makes its own snow using a special mixture to adjust the humidity. It is built with metal frames, it lets harden for a few days, and the cranes are removed. The hotel is made of 15,000 tons of snow and 500,000 tons of ice and the walls are up to four-feet thick.
This year, the Ice Bar decor is inspired with gothic architecture. The medieval ice and snow décor with Gargoyles and snow vault will surely amazed you. You could say that you have visited one of the most beautiful ice bars in the world!


See the details at: http://www.icehotel-canada.com/index.php





The Catacomb Tour of Paris


Far below the city streets of Paris, in the quiet, damp darkness, seven million Parisians lie motionless. Their skeletons, long since dis-interred from the churchyard graves their survivors left them in, are neatly stacked and aligned to form the walls of nearly one kilometer of walking passage. Welcome to the Denfert-Rochereau Ossuary-- The Empire of the Dead.

The Catacombs of Paris or Catacombes de Paris are a famous underground ossuary in Paris, France. Its entrance is located near the Denfert-Rochereau station of the Paris Métro. Organized in a renovated section of the city's vast network of subterranean tunnels and caverns towards the end of the 18th century, it became a tourist attraction on a small scale from the early 19th century and has been open to the public on a regular basis from 1867.




The Undersea Resort


Accessible by an elevator and nestled in crystal clear waters of a 5 000 – acre Fijian lagoon Poseidon Undersea Resort is the world’s first seafloor resort and the only place where you can spend the night 40 feet underwater in incomparable luxury.
Beginning in 2010 a select group of world’s adventure travelers and undersea enthusiasts will have the opportunity to experience a week-long-stay in this extraordinary place.

See more at: http://www.poseidonresorts.com




The Harry Potter Tour

Yes, you can visit Platform 9¾ in your black London taxi on a Harry Potter Tour. And if you choose the full-day version of the tour, you can also get out into the English countryside and see quite a few of the locations used to shoot the films. Harry Potter is a real growth area for English tourism, it seems, and this one company alone has dozens of versions of the Harry Potter tour. At the end of the day, however, they unfortunately don’t guarantee that you’ll learn any magic tricks.



If you want to get to know more visit: http://www.capitaltaxitours.co.uk/harpot.htm


Have any of these holiday destinations got you itching to go to? Which one, in your opinion, would be most exciting experience?

33 comments:

  1. I travel a lot and I have stayed at many unusual places but still I havent't stayed underwater:)
    I believe it could be an unusual experience, to observe all water creatures! The underwater world is so incredible. I heard that there are organised trips to slums in some countries, not just sightseeing but staying there. What would you say about such a trip? Would you go for it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I haven't read any of Rowling's books yet, I thing that going for The Harry Potter Tour could be a very amazing experience. Watching the film you can feel the world of magic, how wonderful it must be to feel it in the real world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful! I 've always dreamed about spending holidays like this in Mexico. It must be such an interesting experience, hiding from the police and playing in sth like "soldiers game". Trip to postnuclear zone - i'm a physics student, but it sound rather strange..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everybody who was in France saw Eiffel Tower or Notre-Dame Cathedral, but not all of them know about the Ossuary. And I think, that visiting Catacumbes of Paris must be an fantastic experience - it's like another, underground, mysterious city, including secrets of many interesting people life. How great field for our imagination!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. *Catacombs of Paris, of course. Sorry for mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that the Ice Hotel is the most interesting offer. I've heard about such hotels in Finland and I've always wanted to visit one. It is definitely not a place for everyone but it looks amazing... You can feel as if you were in a different reality :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. In my opinion, a night spent in the Ice Hotel would be amazing experience!
    I want to say that I have a plan to visit the Catacombs when I'll be in Paris again.
    I don't like an idea of the Illegal Border Crossing and all the more a trip to slums. For me it's new manner to make money on human misery.

    ReplyDelete
  9. In my opinion the most exciting holidays would be in the Undersea Resort. I think that spending there your free time is an unforgettable expirience. Observing the underwater life in so luxury place will definitely live up to the most extravagant expectations. Additionally the possibility of waking up at dawn makes me sure that this choice would be perfect for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don"t travel a lot but I belive that I could be realy traveller. I dream about tour to Siberia so Ice Hotel is great idea for me. Uncredible place. For me it will be the most exciting hollidays in whole my life. In my opion surreal trip to Chrenobyl isn't good idea becouse there is a lot of polution and ... solidera with gun. I hate when someone shot to me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. In my opinion all those places are really interesting and worth visiting. Ice Hotel, Chernobyl and Catacombs interest me the most. Of course traveling to Canada, for example, might be difficult and too expensive for students. Instead that I can suggest visiting some similar places in Poland: The Czermna Ossuary where thousands skeletons are collected or former uranium drifts in Kowary where guides also use Geiger counter...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with Michal - all these places are amazing and entrancing... It's difficult to say which of them I want to see the most:-) Chernobyl and Catacombs are unusual and both associate with death and destruction as for me. Maybe this is a reason why it seems to be so fascinating. On the other hand Ice Hotel and the Undersea Resort must be so beautiful and breath - taking... So the best solution would be seeing all:-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. In my opinion the most exciting experience would be the trip to the Undersea Resort. I've always wanted to learn diving and this could be a perfect substitute of that. What is more, I would be able to admire all of the water creatures and have fun in luxurious conditions of the great hotel in the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's hard to choose one of them because all of these places are so unsually and exciting epecially for someone who doesn't travel a lot. For me the most interesting will be visitting Chernobyl - deserted city, where time stopped 23 years ago. I can imagine that walking through empty buildings will be as frightened as exciting. I suppose it might look like all inhabitants had been kidnapped by UFO... :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like to travel and see unusual places and when I read about so interesting trips, I can't say, what is "the best". I study chemistry and trip to the Chernobyl is for me especially interesting. I always wanted to go to Mexico, but illegally crossing the border? It's not for me! The Ice Hotel must be very beautiful with this gothic architecture - it looks like some castle from a fantasy story:)
    To this places I can add one more. It is "Dunkelrestaurant" in Berlin, Cologne or Hamburg. In this restaurant we eat and drink in darkness, for some time we are blind. It is experience we will never forget.
    More informations in German (Berliner page also in english): http://www.unsicht-bar.de

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like travelling but travelling with a definite aim. If you go to other country you want to visit interesting and well-known places - museums, art galleries or something like that. Think a moment and tell me what you haven`t seen yet? Where haven`t been yet? It`s obvious. You haven`t got to many chances to be underwater and to admire the see life. Now, you have the chance to spend even a night 40 feet underwater in incomparable luxury. I think it could be amazing and unforgetable experience in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I didn't ever expect that I can spend whole day feeling like Harry Potter, or Hermionna Granger! Maybe it's a good idea for next summer? ;)
    I red five books about Harry when I was much younger, but I remember all of them much more than every different book. Maybe it will be a pretence to read all of Harry Potter's adventure? :P

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would spend holidays in the Udersea Resort because I love swimming and I want learn diving. I think that this kind of holiday will be very interesting and improve my knowlegde. I dreamt for a long time about diving with dolphins and prying underwater life.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hate winter, frost and I can't stand wearing caps, berets, warm scrafts. I like snow but if I see it by the window.
    But if I had been in the Ice Hotel, I would have started to adore snow, ice and winter :)
    In this place everybody feel like a prince or a princess, I think :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Without any doubts The Undersea Resort is place for me. Watching sea creatures from 4:20 a.m. each day should be extremely relaxing.

    I really don't like snow and cold weather... but this Ice Hotel looks gorgeous! I hope that you sleep there on something warmer than 0 Celsius degrees. I also wanna know how many guests catch flu-like bonuses?

    The Illegal Border Crossing Tour in Mexico sounds interesting... but after thinking about this for a while, I realized that I have to much stress around me at my everyday adventures and I don't want any more.

    ReplyDelete
  21. For me the most exciting offer is the surreal trip to the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone, maybe because i'm on the environment protection:) i would like to see how it looks like after this explosion. Also the illegal border crossing tour in Mexico sounds very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  22. From these possibilities I'd love the most to visit the undersea resort. I can't even image sleeping so deep under the water :)It must must be un unforgettable experience. When I was younger I wanted see Chernobyl very much because I'm a great fun of the Fallout series.

    ReplyDelete
  23. For me the most interestring and exciting is Ice Hotel and The Undersea Resort. This two world show something mysterious...See mamy water creation or icy furniture...But I hate frigidly so I don't want to sleep there- only visit like museum :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. For me the most fascinating is Ice Hotel too. It will stay open for three months. When the spring arrives, it will melt. Then it will be built again in next year.Each room is supplied with a sleeping bag made from deer skins and it also has a bar where all drinks come in glasses made of ice.
    And second the most interesting place is Burj al-Arab (which means Arabian Towers). It's shaped like a giant sail, and it rises dramatically out of the beautiful blue water. Each tree-top rooms views over the vast forested banks of the Rufiji River.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The undersea resort seem to be very interesting. It would be very interesting to experience such a thing - standing under the sea and see how fishes or other sea organisms go above your head.

    Other places? Machu Picchu, The Amazon, Pacific Islands. Even somewhere close in Poland, Europe - places not necessarily well known but nice, kind of secret.

    ReplyDelete
  26. For me almost all places are fantastic! In the future I will travel a lot and visit all of them.It would be very intresting experience. Ice Hotel and the Undersea Resort is masterpiece. I think that The Illegal Border Crossing Tour in Mexico would be not intresting:)Illegally cross the border-not for me:).It's onle one problem-unfortunately to visit this places we must have a lot of money...

    ReplyDelete
  27. From this few places I will look a Ice Hotel and Undersea Resort. They are must be amazing. But like Mariusz said if we have traveling a lot we need a lot of money.

    ReplyDelete
  28. In Ice Hotel must be so so cold... Brrrr...
    But also must be so beauty!
    I think, if in Ice Hotel is heating, I may go there with pleasure!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Regular trips to humans has become boring. Looking more and more powerful experience because travel agents bring new offerings such as visiting slums or stay in the military unit in Afghanistan. Of course, all are very expensive and can afford only the wealthiest. I think that they can be very interesting and the same dangerous

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thinking about holidays we are still looking for some unforgetable experiences. Spain, Greece or Italy is nothing unusual for plenty of people. they want something special, extraordinary and sometimes strange.I don't like cold so thE Ice Hotel is not for me but I would like to spent a week or two on the sea floor. I hope I will go there one day.

    ReplyDelete
  31. The Ice hotel is super. I want to go there maybe in the winter because I've never been in such wonderfull place.I've never think that it is possible to design such cold and beautifull place .It is my secret drem to go there.

    ReplyDelete
  32. wow! The Undersea Resort is beautiful and what's more the top one spot which I would like to visit with my friends.Second place which very much I would like to see is... Hogwarts! I read Harre's adventures and I saw films and I think that it is beautiful stronghold.

    ReplyDelete
  33. For me the most incredible holiday was in India but there are of way to spend holiday unusual. I love off-road trip so on every holiday I participate in cross. I take my backpack, car monay for petrol and we set on the journey. It is fantastic way to spend unusual holiday with a lot of mud, dirty cars and fantastic people.

    ReplyDelete